Sunday 11 October 2015

The Essentials: Perfect Manicure Favourites

Manicure Favourites

Prep: Buffing your nails is a great way to remove ridges and ensure a smooth base for nail varnish. I use a Nails Inc 4 Way Buffer (no longer available) as it contains a file, ridge remover and buffer as well as a shine-giving side. It definitely helps to keep my varnish and nails looking smoother. However, it is reported that over buffing can weaken nails, and although I have never had a problem, I don't do this more than once a week. When it comes to filing I will only use this Bio Sculpture one (also not available - useful) which is many years old, and yes, is covered in Santas. But it's the best one I have ever tried, it isn't flimsy, so doesn't overly bend, and files with such ease without damaging my nails.

Base: This has got to be one of the most important steps in any manicure. No base coat and you run the risk of staining your nails, and not letting it dry can cause your polish to 'slide' off. Finding the right one can really increase the wear time of your manicure, and that is exactly what the Orly Bonder Base Coat does. It is described as 'rubberised' and claims to 'grip lacquer to the nail surface for extra lasting adhesion', all of which I totally agree with. It leaves an almost tacky layer over the nails which must really attach to the polish on top as I have noticed my manicures lasting much longer since using this base coat. 

Top: As with a base coat, finding the right top coat can also make a huge difference to your manicure. I am a fan of high-shine, long-wearing top coats, and although the drying time doesn't need to be seconds, I often paint my nails in bed and it is important that they are dry before I fall asleep so they don't smudge. After trailing atleast nine different top coats (only one other was amazing, but that was soon discontinued) I have finally found 'the one' in the form of Sally Hansen Insta-Dry. It just does everything you would want from a top coat, and I think the 5* rating from Boots says it all.

Care: Taking good care of your nails will help future manicure look better and last longer. Using the CND Solar Oil will hydrate the skin surrounding your nails, which gets dried out form varnish remover, and nourish cuticles, which will help to prevent damage. 

What are your top tips for a long lasting manicure and healthy nails?  
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Beaut Honesty. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig