Sunday 14 June 2015

Feeling Foodie: Italian Chicken Bake



Since having to adopt a gluten free diet I have become more and more interested in cooking and decided to share one of my favourite recipes with you. It's a little different from the beauty posts but hopefully it'll give you some inspiration in the kitchen.


I have been gluten free for over five years, before it became 'popular' and long before you could get a decent gluten free meal in a restaurant. I remember the first time I went out for dinner after my diagnosis all the restaurant could give me was a piece of plain chicken and a few vegetables with no guarantee of cross contamination. Now things have drastically changed and many restaurants are much more clued up, but it is still lovely to create a delicious meal at home.

This recipe is from Fay Ripley What's For Dinner, which is a lovely book, and although not specially gluten free, the recipes can be adapted accordingly. This is one of my favourite meals to cook for the family and it is delicious!

Serves 4
Prep Time 10 mins (this is what it says in the book, but I find it's like 30 mins, but I am not a very confident cook)
Cook Time 35 mins (10 on the hob, 25 in the oven)


Ingredients:

1 Onion, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 Free Range Skinless Chicken Breasts, diced into bite-size chunks
2 Garlic Cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
2 Tsp Dried Oregano
2 x 400g Tins Chopped Tomatoes
1 x 125g Ball of Mozzarella Cheese, thinly sliced
50g Sliced Pepperoni (I often use a little extra)

Optional:

Small Portion of Gluten Free Pasta - my personal favourite
Warm Gluten Free Bread

Method:

Preheat the oven to 200°C.


Add the oil to the pan and fry the onion until translucent. I use a sauté pan as a frying pan just isn't deep enough for the amount of tomatoes, but a saucepan would work as well.

Add the chicken and brown for 5 minutes.

Add the oregano and and garlic and fry for another 2 minutes. Keep it moving to stop the garlic from burning and to unsure all of the chicken is covered.

Add the tomatoes and allow it to bubble gently for 5 minutes.

Pour into an ovenproof dish and top with the mozzarella then the peperoni. Pop in the oven for 25 minutes.

While this is cooking I like to boil some water and cook a small portion of gluten free pasta as I think it makes the meal slightly more filling. However the recipe suggests warm bread, so it is entirely up to you.









And there you go, a simple yet delicious meal for all the family!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Beaut Honesty. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig